Lawyers Directory Online in 2004
by Patricia Jordan
The Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch is pleased to announce a new Lawyers Directory Web site that will go live in early January 2004. CBA members and the public will have access to information that is updated daily at www.bccbadirectory.org.
Online information includes:
- Lawyers with secondary languages;
- Preferred area of practice listings;
- Alphabetical and geographical member and firm listings;
- Member services and hotels;
- Professional association services;
- Law societies and law related groups;
- B.C. government and federal government listings;
- Judiciary and court services information; and
- Maps for court locations, bailiff areas and land districts.
In the October issue of BarTalk, we asked for volunteers to act as moderators for Section Message Boards. Many members volunteered – thank you! Several Sections still need moderators for their boards. To volunteer to act as a moderator, please contact Patricia Jordan at 604.646.7861 or e-mail email@example.com.
Documents in Library
- National Identity Card Proposal, October 2003, CBA Submission
- Public Legal Education and Information Resource Catalogue (B.C.)
- Executive Committee and Provincial Council Meeting Minutes
Did You Know?
Most passwords are easily cracked by methods such as a dictionary attack, where an attacker guesses the password using a list of common words.
- Do use a password with mixed-case alphabetic or non-alphabetic characters;
- Do use a password longer than six characters;
- Avoid using your login, first, middle, or last name in any form;
- Avoid using your spouse’s or child’s name;
- Avoid using license plate or telephone numbers, the make of your automobile, the name of the street you live on, etc.;
- Avoid using a password consisting of all digits or all the same letter; and
- Avoid using a word contained in English or foreign language dictionaries.
Ask the Webmaster
Why do I need a login and password to access the CBABC Web site?
The CBABC Web site is a members-only site with access to CBA and Section information. The majority of content is related to Section activities, including annual reports, minutes, etc. At any one time, there are 40 to 50 Section announcements, memorandums, or meeting notices on the home/reception webpage. Your login and password link you to your member record in the database. So, if you are enrolled in the Family Law Section that Section’s information appears when you log on.
Do you have a Web question? What would you like to see online? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.888.687.3404, ext. 317 or 604.646.7861.
Site du Jour
www.hg.org Hieros Gamos is a leading legal research Web site with more than 10,000 links and a worldwide law firm search engine.
This article was published in the December 2003 issue of BarTalk. © 2003 The Canadian Bar Association. All rights reserved.